If you are carving a pumpkin this year, please take my advice on this. If you are wanting to preserve your beautiful work and looking for a natural way to make your pumpkin last longer, here are a few tips for carving pumpkins. What TO DO, and what you do NOT want to use.
After I had carved out a sweet little Halloween witch, I did some research online for things to try to preserve my pumpkin, and decided to try applying vegetable oil on the inside. It started to brown by the end of the day, and a day later the entire thing had collapsed and was FULL of mold. Talk about disgusting. So, please absolutely do not try olive oil as a preservative in your pumpkin.
I did light a real candle, and that is supposed to speed the aging of the pumpkin too, so it could have just been a bad combo.
Here are some tips I would suggest trying to preserving the life of your carved pumpkin…
- don't use real candles, try electric tea lights.- If you really wanna use flame candles, I totally get it, and you could add cinnamon spice to make your house smell amazing. But this will make your pumpkin age quicker.
- Try soaking your pumpkin in a bleach water mixture, or at least giving the inside a good rub down with this mixture. For a more natural alternative you can try vinegar and lemon juice to help preserve the inside.
- Don't forget to bake your seeds! Boil them for about 5 minutes, preheat your oven to 400 degrees, then put them on waxed paper in the oven for about 30 minutes. Make sure they are crunchy and slightly browned. YUM.
For the ultimate pumpkin carving experience:
Still needing carving supplies and designs? These are the things I used to make my carving a cinch and get the family in the holiday mood:
- Carving Kit– This one includes 4 tools for gutting your pumpkin and designing. There is a book of carving templates too…this one is Day of the Dead looking designs. I have a soft spot for how cool the pumpkins look following these. This kit is only $4 at Target, so you can have it delivered or go pick it up at your local store to get started right away.
- Coco to watch with the whole family. This movie makes me cry every single time I watch it.
If you liked this post please like, share, and comment below.